• Page:

TOPIC: Errors when installing - need help

Errors when installing - need help 14 years 2 months ago #8638

• Sable Grey
  • Sable Grey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I just downloaded the newest version of !JoomlaComment. I’ve seen a demonstration of this extension and really want it for my site. Upon installing the zip file I received two errors:

• Component Install: Another Component is already using directory: "components/com_comment"
• Component Install: Another Component is already using directory: "afterdark/administrator/components/com_comment"
Can you tell me how to correct these errors so that I can install this extension?

Also, I thought to uninstall and try it again but it will not allow me to uninstall the component. If clicked in my component menu I get this message on an otherwise blank screen:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /html/afterdark/administrator/components/com_comment/plugin/com_content/josc_com_content.class.php on line 38

I would appreciate any advice and assistance with these issues. I really hope these things can be worked out so that I can use the extension. It looks perfect for what I need.

However, if I cannot use it because of php4, can someone advise me how to uninstall this extension and fix the errors it has created?

-Sable

Errors when installing - need help 14 years 2 months ago #8639

• Nils Ally
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
PHP4 is a little old... check this thread:

Try this:
Try to Uninstall it...

Apart from that, I have done this a few times myself...
Those folders on the Server you must get rid of manually through the FTP connection. I normaly just rename them to ie.: "1com_comment" or something similar. This is basically just me being a bit scared of deleting stuff that might be needed later.

Then re-install the version that was working for you before.

Might be a safe word of advice to backup as much as possible, and even wait for the big boys (JonusC or Daniel) to confirm this... :blush:

Errors when installing - need help 14 years 2 months ago #8640

• Daniel Dimitrov
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1081
Hey Man,
I'm really sorry that you have those errors, but I've written that in the past - no php4 and mysql4 support anymore. it is 2010 - we can't support technologies that are more than 5 years old. (like ie6 for example)

My advise would be - ask your host to move you to php5 :) preferably 5.2

Errors when installing - need help 14 years 2 months ago #8641

• Sable Grey
  • Sable Grey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for your responses. Nilis, I'll give that a try.
We use what we are given...lol. If I had my way, I'd just have my own server and host my own sites without going through another. But all of us can't have large command centers in our home so we get what we get from others. Kinda sucks. I'll see what my host can do for me. :D

Thank you for being patient with a newbie :D and for the quick responses.

-Sable

Errors when installing - need help 14 years 2 months ago #8642

• Nils Ally
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
We have all been a newbie at some point.
So the problems and frustrations we are well aware of!

It was a bit of a shock to hear that PHP4 is actually that old!!
It seems like it only arrived yesterday... :pinch:
But times do change, and as Daniel implies, trying to support "typewriters" on todays market is just not realistic.

I know the problem, and if it were possible, it would be supported. But as JonusC says on the link I posted, the next Joomla won't even work on PHP4.

On the positive side, upgrading the Server will open up your world again, and should not present itself as anymore of a problem than the previous version 4 was. Well at least that's what I have heard...

Think of it like this: A horse is fine animal and was used for transportation, but I would not want to try running it at 180 km/hour on the German autobahn today.

Errors when installing - need help 14 years 1 month ago #9200

• Mando Ahmed
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello

I have same problem but my server use php 5.2.5

now when try uninstall it it say the same error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /home/****/public_html/administrator/components/com_comment/plugin/com_content/josc_com_content.class.php on line 38

iam afraid to remove the folders and it's database table manually and that made big error again

if this true , please tell me about all files ,folders and database tables to remove

if this wrong tell me the solution please because i need this website and the pack up i have too old and not have alot of work please helm me

Errors when installing - need help 14 years 1 month ago #9201

• JonusC
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48

Errors when installing - need help 14 years 1 week ago #9473

• Ishaq Rahman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
OMG, I could not uninstall it. When I tried, the message came:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /home/ishaqr48/public_html/administrator/components/com_comment/plugin/com_content/josc_com_content.class.php on line 38

The same message also come to my website when visited ( www.ishaqrahman.web.id )

What should I do?

Errors when installing - need help 14 years 1 week ago #9474

• Daniel Dimitrov
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1081
Ask your host to upgrade to php 5.2 and the errors will disappear.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds